"Insufficient memory for this operation" after 15 or more client BDE connections.

2006-02-23 03:38:09 AM
off-topic19
Greetings:
We have a 3-tier Cbuilder6-written application. The middle tier uses BDE to
connect to a SQL Server 2005 database, on behalf of multiple connected
clients. However, when the number of connected clients reaches anywhere
between 15 and 17, BDE starts reporting "Insufficient memory for this
operation" for any new additional connection. The middle tier is running on
a Windows 2003 Server, and all clients are running on WinXP (SP1).
We recently migrated the database from SQL Server 7, and the middle tier
from Winnt, to SQL Server 2005 and Windows 2003 Server respectively. Before
then, the application worked fine and handled over 100 concurrent clients
without problems for years. We copied the exact BDE configuration from the
old server to the server, and it didn't work.
On attempt to resolve the problem, we have attempted various BDE settings,
most of which involved changing SHAREDMEMLOCATION, SHAREDMEMSIZE,
MAXBUFSIZE, MAXFILEHANDLES,MINBUFSIZE,MEMSIZE to higher or lowers values, as
advised by various sources, including Borland's KB. Our version of BDE came
from the CBuilder6 installation CD.
Has anyone successfully used BDE on a server application on Windows 2003
Server?
(If it helps: The middle tier instantiates a pair of TDatabase and TQuery
objects for each client, and frees them when the client disconnects. So, if
we have have 15 conections, we would have 15 TDatabase objects and 15 TQuery
objects.)
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Re:"Insufficient memory for this operation" after 15 or more client BDE connections.

Never mind. We are migrating the entire application to ADO instead. Thank
you.