QC response times?

I'd like to know what response times one should expect when submitting
bug reports to QC. I'm not talking about the time for getting a fix,
just getting an acknowledgement that the report is good or not and that
it will be looked at.
My earliest reports that were submitted over three months ago (with test
cases, steps etc) are still not opened. See
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
It would be nice if you also could add some information about this to
the QC user guide so one knows what to expect. Also, shorter response
times would make it more motivating to keep submitting detailed reports.
Thanks in advance,
Robert Ögren

Re:QC response times?

In article <4422a1f3$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
Robert Ögren < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:
I'd like to know what response times one should expect when submitting
bug reports to QC. I'm not talking about the time for getting a fix,
just getting an acknowledgement that the report is good or not and that
it will be looked at.
I've seen reports from 2002 get opened in the last few months, so
there is no guarantee, but new reports are getting attention much
quicker than the old ones. The quality of the report itself seems to be
the deciding factor. If you write up good steps, or attach a project
that demonstrates the report clearly, then it shouldn't take but a
matter of days.
--
-David

Re:QC response times?

"Robert Ögren" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote
in message news:4422a1f3$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

I'd like to know what response times one should expect when submitting bug
reports to QC. I'm not talking about the time for getting a fix, just
getting an acknowledgement that the report is good or not and that it will
be looked at.

My earliest reports that were submitted over three months ago (with test
cases, steps etc) are still not opened. See
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

It would be nice if you also could add some information about this to the
QC user guide so one knows what to expect. Also, shorter response times
would make it more motivating to keep submitting detailed reports.

This is a community proccess.
Roughly translated, that means that most reports get opened by volunteers.
By the nature of volunteers, it can be tricky to dictate to them what to do.
And it is hard to predict what they are going to do.
That makes it hard for Borland to tell you what is going to happen, because
it is not deterministic.
OTOH, they are volunteers because the really do care and try hard to
do a good job. Since they haven't been opened by now, I'd say they
slipped under the radar. Posting here, like you did, is a good way to
bring attention to them again.
There isn't really a defined process for that. It is generally understood
that if someone cares about the post they will sheperd it through the
maze and say something here when they don't feel it is getting the attention
it deserves.
--
HTH,
Brad.

{smallsort}

Re:QC response times?

Brad White wrote:
This is a community proccess.

Roughly translated, that means that most reports get opened by volunteers.
By the nature of volunteers, it can be tricky to dictate to them what to do.
And it is hard to predict what they are going to do.
Ok, I understand that volunteers can't be equally interested in all
parts of the product. It feels a like there is more activity around the
Delphi QC project compared to the Delphi.Net QC project - correct?
Is there any chance that QC reports that are not opened will be looked
at by the Borland developers?
That makes it hard for Borland to tell you what is going to happen, because
it is not deterministic.

OTOH, they are volunteers because the really do care and try hard to
do a good job. Since they haven't been opened by now, I'd say they
slipped under the radar. Posting here, like you did, is a good way to
bring attention to them again.
I do appreciate the work done by the volunteers. Is there anything else
I can do to help get my reports looked at? If some necessary information
was lacking from the reports, then someone would tell me that in a
comment to the report, right?
Thanks,
Robert

Re:QC response times?

"Robert Ögren" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote
in message news:4423ba9f$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
I do appreciate the work done by the volunteers.
And I appreciate your work in preparing and submitting these reports.
Is there anything else I can do to help get my reports looked at? If some
necessary information was lacking from the reports, then someone would
tell me that in a comment to the report, right?

That's the plan, yes.
--
Thanks,
Brad.

Re:QC response times?

Robert Ögren wrote:
Is there any chance that QC reports that are not opened will be
looked at by the Borland developers?
Yes, Borland developers also look at entries that are still in the
"reported" status, but not as frequently as the ones that have been
opened.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com