Error 10038 - field name > 30 chars

I get this BDE error when I try to open an Access table which contains
a long field name. I'm suspecting the length because it reports a bad
field name with the last few chars truncated. Is this a BDE limitation
or something else?
Thanks.
- D

Re:Error 10038 - field name > 30 chars

Hi Doug,
Field Names are limited to 31 characters (from memory). One wonders why you
would need a field name longer than that ?
Leslie.
"Doug Stephens" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I get this BDE error when I try to open an Access table which contains
a long field name. I'm suspecting the length because it reports a bad
field name with the last few chars truncated. Is this a BDE limitation
or something else?

Thanks.
- D

Re:Error 10038 - field name > 30 chars

Yesthatisaverylongfieldnameisntit? I inhertied the schema. I guess it
was someone's idea of a descriptive name.
Do you know, is that for BDE? Can't find any reference to this. But it
sure looks to be the case.
My work around is too ... convince my boss that we should retire the
application.
Thanks, Lelsie.
-D

{smallsort}

Re:Error 10038 - field name > 30 chars

Hi Doug,
That is a limitation for the BDE and also for Interbase/Firebird.
I think retiring the application on that basis alone is a big mistake and if
I were your boss, would not accept that at all. The correct work around is
*obviously* to rename the field !!!!
Leslie.
"Doug Stephens" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Yesthatisaverylongfieldnameisntit? I inhertied the schema. I guess it
was someone's idea of a descriptive name.

Do you know, is that for BDE? Can't find any reference to this. But it
sure looks to be the case.

My work around is too ... convince my boss that we should retire the
application.

Thanks, Lelsie.
-D

Re:Error 10038 - field name > 30 chars