bde onto {*word*269} machine

I'm trying to install my bde-based app onto a user's machine. In the past I
would send the user an install program for my app, and borland's install
program for bde. The user would run both, and then with a little tweaking of
bdeadmin, it would all work.
But now the bde that you can download from borland
(info.borland.com/devsupport/bde/) claims it won't install unless you
already have an older bde installed. So what do you do on a clean machine??
I've read bdedeploy.txt, but find it hard to believe I have to do all this,
plus switch to a supported installer.
I've seen suggestions to use ibinstall.defined.net to install bde
5.2 but it's not clear if it will work on a bde-free machine. And I don't
have a bde-free machine here to test, since each of mine already has a
borland dev environment (d5, d2005, cppb5) which already has bde installed.
This must be simpler than it seems.
-kc

Re:bde onto {*word*269} machine

kaare wrote:
I've seen suggestions to use ibinstall.defined.net to install bde
5.2 but it's not clear if it will work on a bde-free machine.
yes, that is what it is for..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:bde onto {*word*269} machine

kaare wrote:

I'm trying to install my bde-based app onto a user's machine. In the
past I would send the user an install program for my app, and
borland's install program for bde. The user would run both, and then
with a little tweaking of bdeadmin, it would all work.

But now the bde that you can download from borland
(info.borland.com/devsupport/bde/) claims it won't install
unless you already have an older bde installed. So what do you do on
a clean machine??
The download on the Borland site is to allow those who own a Borland
development product to update the BDE installed on their system. To
deploy an app that uses the BDE you should create an installer, using
InstallShield that comes with your Borland product or another certified
installer, to install both your app and the BDE.

I've read bdedeploy.txt, but find it hard to believe I have to do all
this, plus switch to a supported installer.

I've seen suggestions to use ibinstall.defined.net to install
bde 5.2 but it's not clear if it will work on a bde-free machine. And
It will definitely install on a clean machine.

This must be simpler than it seems.
Actually, it is not. Installing the BDE safely is not trivial.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

{smallsort}

Re:bde onto {*word*269} machine

"Steven Green" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
kaare wrote:

>I've seen suggestions to use ibinstall.defined.net to install bde
>5.2 but it's not clear if it will work on a bde-free machine.

yes, that is what it is for..

Ah ha, thanks.
-kc

Re:bde onto {*word*269} machine

Bill Todd wrote:
>This must be simpler than it seems.

Actually, it is not. Installing the BDE safely is not trivial.
(g)