Re: Error: "Directory in use by earlier version of Paradox"

2005-02-19 06:57:12 AM
off-topic19
Ronaldo Souza < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
In his article, Wayne says: "Using a TTable against such a system
[set-oriented database] is slower because the BDE must convert the table
functions into SQL instructions to be sent off to the database."
Wouldn't this also be true if I replaced "BDE" with "ADS"?

The big selling point for me is "easy migration", i.e. I won't need to
change the structure of our program (TTable x TQuery). Is there a trade
off between performance x simplicity of conversion?

A bit confused...
As I understand it (and in my experience so far), Advantage is
fairly unique in being a true client/server database, yet the
database engine will translate any operations against Tadstable
into instructions that are just about as efficient as code
written against a query.
Bill can probably elaborate more. Or, you could get more info
from the Advantage website.
resolution.extendedsystems.com/ads/default.htm
While it's true that the local server does not support transactions,
assuming you're using some version of Delphi that includes
TClientDataSet, perhaps you could use the Datasnap technology
for applying changes.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Re: Error: "Directory in use by earlier version of Paradox"

"Rick Carter" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Bill can probably elaborate more.
Matter of fact, it looks like he was composing his own message
simultaneously. Had I known, I would have considered his own
more thorough explanation to be sufficient.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Re: Error: "Directory in use by earlier version of Paradox"

I think lack of transactions in any database is a problem. :) However, if
your application was designed to work without transactions it may not be a
serious problem for you. You are correct that you can put transaction
control statements in your application and ALS will ignore them. I cannot
imagine why you would want to do so. Either you need transaction control
or you do not.
IIRC one of the marketing people at Advantage told me that they do have an
ALS version that has transaction control, although they do not advertise
it and I assume it is not free. However, if you do need transaction
control in a single user application you might post a message on the
Advantage newsgroups and see if the product really exists.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Error: "Directory in use by earlier version of Paradox"

I hope this provides a more lucid explanation.

It surely does!
One last thing: do you see the lack of transactions in the local server
as a big problem? If I got it right, I can even leave the transaction
code in my source but it won't do anything (except for ADS-C/S).
Thanks,
Ronaldo

Re:Re: Error: "Directory in use by earlier version of Paradox"

Matter of fact, it looks like he was composing his own message
simultaneously. Had I known, I would have considered his own
more thorough explanation to be sufficient.

Lucky me! Got great advice from two knowledgeable guys! :-)
I *really* wish that the generosity often seen in these newsgroups could
spread to other areas of human endeavor!
Thanks,
Ronaldo

Re:Re: Error: "Directory in use by earlier version of Paradox"

I think lack of transactions in any database is a problem. :) However,
if your application was designed to work without transactions it may not
be a serious problem for you.
It was not. :-(
IIRC one of the marketing people at Advantage told me that they do have
an ALS version that has transaction control, although they do not
advertise it and I assume it is not free. However, if you do need
transaction control in a single user application you might post a
message on the Advantage newsgroups and see if the product really exists.

The PDF un the "More Information" link on the Advantage TDataSet
Descendant page says:
"Advantage Database Server
(client/server)
Maximum number of transactions - limited by memory <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Maximum number of connections - limited by memory
Maximum number of files opened simultaneously - limited by memory
Maximum number of tables - limited by memory
Advantage Local Server
(local and peer-to-peer)
Maximum number of transactions - unsupported <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Maximum number of connections - limited by memory
Maximum number of files opened simultaneously - limited by memory
Maximum number of tables - limited by memory"
Thanks,
Ronaldo

Re:Re: Error: "Directory in use by earlier version of Paradox"

One thing you may want to keep in the back of your mind... SQL Server 2005
Express looks pretty appealing. This is the new free "MSDE" version of SQL
Server. It seems a lot better than the previous MSDE versions in that there
will no longer be a performance governer. The specs seem pretty full
featured, and free is always good. Of course, it's not past beta yet, but
by the name it seems MS has at least committed to getting it out this year.
It does have full transaction support, and should make for no-change
migrations to full SQL Server for customers that need it. Deployment is
also supposed to be a lot easier. Since this is SQL based, it may not make
for as easy a migration as Advantage, but if transactions and price are a
concern and you can wait a little, this may be something to look at.