Timing TPW Windows Programs

2003-10-30 04:08:50 AM
off-topic1
During the development and documentation of AES code I ran into
difficulties to benchmark the BP7 Windows code. My DOS and WIN32
console mode bench programs, as well as TIMETHIS from Windows 98
resource kit and even a modified version of Peter Belows excellent
WinExecAndWait32V2 show the same symptoms:
{Windows]
bpc -b -cw T_ENCRSP
timethis T_ENCRSP
TimeThis : Command Line : T_ENCRSP.EXE
TimeThis : Start Time : Wed Oct 29 20:58:29 2003
[WE: between these lines there is a delay of about 10 s]
TimeThis : End Time : Wed Oct 29 20:58:30 2003
TimeThis : Elapsed Time : 00:00:00.220
{DOS]
bpc -b T_ENCRSP
timethis T_ENCRSP
TimeThis : Command Line : T_ENCRSP.EXE
TimeThis : Start Time : Wed Oct 29 20:58:55 2003
TimeThis : End Time : Wed Oct 29 20:59:04 2003
TimeThis : Elapsed Time : 00:00:08.950
It seems that for windows the times are taken before and after the
"EXEC" call and printed after the prog has finished.
Is there a way to take the second time after the program has finished
(besides using a stop watch)?
Wolfgang
--
In order to e-mail me a reply to this message, you will have
to remove PLEASE.REMOVE from the address shown in the header

Re:Timing TPW Windows Programs

Is there a way to take the second time after the program has finished
(besides using a stop watch)?
You might try timing using a command line like "CMD /C START /WAIT
T_ENCRSP" that way the command line won't finish until the app finishes.
There will be some additional overhead from starting the new command
shell but it's trivial compared to your 10 second run time.
Be seeing you.