BDE configuration lost on installation

2008-06-19 09:10:44 AM
off-topic2
I've been using a default BDE configuration to install on my client's PCs
for years.
Now, for some unknown reason, the configuration is lost. Not the database.
That stuff comes across fine. But Installshield persists in returning the
configuration to the original. Mine has DBASE as the default database and
MAXFILEHANDLES set to 255. They get reset to PARADOX and 48.
The install is built using Installshield 2 on a Win 2000 box. I'm testing
the installation on XP Pro.
I've set the cfg file in the Installshield redist directory as the default
BDE configuration for the Win2K PC. But the configuration still gets
dropped.
I've tried all sorts of fiddles and am currently resaughting to sending the
cfg file as separate to be installed on its own. I'm not happy about that
as too many things can go wrong and it assumes technical nouse that meny of
my clients don't have.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alan Jeffery

Re:BDE configuration lost on installation

"Alan Jeffery" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
[...]

Hi Alan,
Your approach has been out of date for at least five years if not longer.
Nowadays the best method is to ensure the BDE settings are set each time
your application is launched and in that case the default cfg file is
adequate.
However, if you insist on shipping a pre-populated cfg file then firstly
Installshield 2 should be abandoned for two reasons: (1) It does {*word*193}
things when the BDE is already present on the machine and (2) it uses 16 bit
subcomponents which causes problems with uninstallation on Vista 32 bit and
of course will not run on Windows 64 at all.
Finally, from distant memory installshield 2 uses an idapi.cnt file (I am
not 100% sure of the extension) which is buried in its program subtree
(probably the redist folder) and perhaps it is using those settings and not
the currently installed idapi.cfg file in the Common Files/Borland
Shared/BDE folder.
Later versions of installshield use the currently installed vesion of the
idapi.cfg file as its default when merging with a pre-existing BDE but again
uses its own default (part of the merge module) for new installations.
Leslie.

news:4859b211$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I've been using a default BDE configuration to install on my client's PCs
>for years.
>
>Now, for some unknown reason, the configuration is lost. Not the
>database. That stuff comes across fine. But Installshield persists in
>returning the configuration to the original. Mine has DBASE as the
>default database and MAXFILEHANDLES set to 255. They get reset to
>PARADOX and 48.
>
>The install is built using Installshield 2 on a Win 2000 box. I'm
>testing the installation on XP Pro.
>
>I've set the cfg file in the Installshield redist directory as the
>default BDE configuration for the Win2K PC. But the configuration still
>gets dropped.
>
>I've tried all sorts of fiddles and am currently resaughting to sending
>the cfg file as separate to be installed on its own. I'm not happy about
>that as too many things can go wrong and it assumes technical nouse that
>meny of my clients don't have.
>
>Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Alan Jeffery

Hi Alan,

Your approach has been out of date for at least five years if not longer.
Nowadays the best method is to ensure the BDE settings are set each time
your application is launched and in that case the default cfg file is
adequate.

However, if you insist on shipping a pre-populated cfg file then firstly
Installshield 2 should be abandoned for two reasons: (1) It does {*word*193}
things when the BDE is already present on the machine and (2) it uses 16
bit subcomponents which causes problems with uninstallation on Vista 32
bit and of course will not run on Windows 64 at all.

Finally, from distant memory installshield 2 uses an idapi.cnt file (I am
not 100% sure of the extension) which is buried in its program subtree
(probably the redist folder) and perhaps it is using those settings and
not the currently installed idapi.cfg file in the Common Files/Borland
Shared/BDE folder.

Later versions of installshield use the currently installed vesion of the
idapi.cfg file as its default when merging with a pre-existing BDE but
again uses its own default (part of the merge module) for new
installations.

Leslie.

Leslie
I've had to come to the conclusions you have made. it's just that the way
I've set things up has worked fine, until now, that I'm having to get my
head around the changes required.
After all, I've not had to think about it for years.
Alan Jeffery

{smallsort}