BDE in the future ?

The next Microsoft's operating system (LongHorn) will have a new file sytem,
does BDE will suport it ?

Re:BDE in the future ?

The BDE was deprecated a while ago
(community.borland.com/article/0,1410,28688,00.html). The last
version shipped in 2001. I'm not sure if BDE is even officially supported
on Win2K/XP/2003 (although many of us are successfully using it on those
systems). BDE still ships with Delphi, and you can use it, but you can't
expect any bug fixes/updates.
The new Delphi .NET (8) apparently allows you to use the BDE to access
Paradox etc., but I don't think they changed the BDE to support this. I
don't think BDE will be altered to support Longhorn. Now I have read in
some places that Longhorn will try to support some 'legacy' apps and will
support some/all of the Win32 API, so I suppose it's possible that even with
a different file system, the current BDE might work on Longhorn. But on the
other hand, I've read that due to security concerns etc.this may not happen
(Win32 API support I mean).
I guess the point (and my understanding) is that BDE _may_ work on Longhorn,
but we won't know for sure for a while, and I definitely wouldn't hold my
breath.
"Jeff" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
The next Microsoft's operating system (LongHorn) will have a new file
sytem,
does BDE will suport it ?

Re:BDE in the future ?

Jeff,
There has been some success reported regarding running the BDE on a Linux
platform using WINE.
You might want to test your Delphi / Windows application on a Linux / WINE
platform. Success would assure a longer lifespan for your application in
the event Longhorn does breaks the BDE.

{smallsort}

Re:BDE in the future ?

"Jeff" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
The next Microsoft's operating system (LongHorn) will have a new file sytem,
does BDE will suport it ?

I really think that bde will be the one to support it and because bdg always does.