My QC - Dialogs and keyboards!

Please vote. Simple fix.. drives me crazy though.
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
Dialogs need &Ok etc. Its very irritation to have to use the mouse to press
OK and many other dialog function. Is widespread, but checkin dialog is the
most irritating as it used so often.
Steps to Reproduce:
Try to click ok without using the mouse.
Workarounds:
Use the mouse.
Blog: blogs.atozed.com/kudzu

Re:My QC - Dialogs and keyboards!

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu wrote:
Please vote. Simple fix.. drives me crazy though.

qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
I dunno about 6, but in 2005 I can press Ctrl+Enter or tab to the OK
button and press space or enter.
BTW, I haven't received any email from you regarding what we discussed
in .delphi.non-technical.
-Craig
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
news server: info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu wrote:
Dialogs need &Ok etc. Its very irritation to have to use the
mouse to press OK and many other dialog function. Is widespread,
but checkin dialog is the most irritating as it used so often.

Steps to Reproduce:
Try to click ok without using the mouse.

Workarounds:
Use the mouse.
Are the dialogs also set to use the "Default" and "Cancel"
properties? If they are, just pressing Enter should automatically
invoke "OK", and Esc would invoke "Cancel".
Not always appropriate, but I usually try to get those properties
set too.
-Brion

{smallsort}

Re:My QC - Dialogs and keyboards!

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>wrote in
I dunno about 6, but in 2005 I can press Ctrl+Enter or tab to the OK
button and press space or enter.
Will try Ctrl-Enter. Tabbing to ok is not an option, these are dialogs with
lots of controls. Im sure I could move the mouse with my nose too to avoid
using my hand, but its certainly not convenient.
BTW, I haven't received any email from you regarding what we discussed
in .delphi.non-technical.
Are you sure? You replied to it. :)

"Brion L. Webster" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
Are the dialogs also set to use the "Default" and "Cancel"
properties? If they are, just pressing Enter should automatically
invoke "OK", and Esc would invoke "Cancel".
Not if you are in a memo field, which in most ST dialogs that we commonuly
use we are when it opens.

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu wrote:
Not if you are in a memo field, which in most ST dialogs that we
commonuly use we are when it opens.
Ouch. Hope the Ctrl-Enter trick works.
-Brion

news:425eda8b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :

>Are the dialogs also set to use the "Default" and "Cancel"
>properties? If they are, just pressing Enter should automatically
>invoke "OK", and Esc would invoke "Cancel".

Not if you are in a memo field, which in most ST dialogs that we commonuly
use we are when it opens.
If the OK button is default and the problem is that you're in a memo
field that accepts enter, you don't have to tab to the OK button. It's
sufficient to tab out of the memo field and then hit Enter. I'm not
entirely sure, but I think that's what I usually do in StarTeam.
But I'd prefer if the memo fields didn't accept Enter and Enter invoked
OK instead. You can still insert line breaks in the memo using Ctrl+Enter.
Kjell
Kjell Rilbe
Home: +46 8 7610734
Cell: +46 733 442464
"If there's a price for bein' me, that's one I'll have to pay"
Aaron Tippin

Re:My QC - Dialogs and keyboards!

Kjell Rilbe < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
If the OK button is default and the problem is that you're in a memo
field that accepts enter, you don't have to tab to the OK button. It's
sufficient to tab out of the memo field and then hit Enter. I'm not
entirely sure, but I think that's what I usually do in StarTeam.
Except that thats a major PITA, because in smoe dialogs there is another
memo, so you have to tab "Look", tab "look". Faster to use the mouse...
But I'd prefer if the memo fields didn't accept Enter and Enter invoked
OK instead. You can still insert line breaks in the memo using
Ctrl+Enter.
I dont. :) Ctrl-Enter is standard fro "send" etc. I think Alt-O is quite
obviosu as you can see it, and is pretty std too.
Blog: blogs.atozed.com/kudzu

Re:My QC - Dialogs and keyboards!

I would like alt-O and signified as much with my vote.
;^)
news:4262974c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :

--
Chad Z. Hower (a.k.a. Kudzu) - www.hower.org/Kudzu/

Blog: blogs.atozed.com/kudzu

Re:My QC - Dialogs and keyboards!

"David Hegland" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:4263ed10
@newsgroups.borland.com:
I would like alt-O and signified as much with my vote.
Thanks. Havent had a chance eto test Ctrl-Enter yet, but I did upgrade to
2005. But Ctrl-Enter is certanily not obvious and nearly everyone on the
newly migrated team has complained about this.

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu wrote:
Kjell Rilbe < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
news:4262974c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :

>If the OK button is default and the problem is that you're in a memo
>field that accepts enter, you don't have to tab to the OK button. It's
>sufficient to tab out of the memo field and then hit Enter. I'm not
>entirely sure, but I think that's what I usually do in StarTeam.

Except that thats a major PITA, because in smoe dialogs there is another
memo, so you have to tab "Look", tab "look". Faster to use the mouse...
I didn't intend it to be a solution, just a workaround. In the check-in
dialog, which is the one you use most frequently, and IMO the only one
that you *do* use very frequently, you just do one single Tab and then
Enter. It's not that hard to get used to.
>But I'd prefer if the memo fields didn't accept Enter and Enter invoked
>OK instead. You can still insert line breaks in the memo using
>Ctrl+Enter.

I dont. :) Ctrl-Enter is standard fro "send" etc. I think Alt-O is quite
obviosu as you can see it, and is pretty std too.
Don't agree. All applications I've come across to date have had Enter =
accept dialog and Ctrl+Enter = insert line break in memo. Just to
mention one example: the ComboBox.ListItems property editor in VB6.
Alt+O I don't like because it's an awkward key combo on the keyboard.

Kjell Rilbe wrote:
Alt+O I don't like because it's an awkward key combo on the keyboard.
That is, on keyboards that make use of the AltGr key, because on those
keyboards you can't use the right Alt key for that purpose. In other
words, Alt+O is a two-hand combo.

Kjell Rilbe wrote:
Don't agree. All applications I've come across to date have had Enter
= accept dialog and Ctrl+Enter = insert line break in memo.
Outlook certainly doesn't behave this way. Just the opposite.
How to ask questions the smart way:

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
Kjell Rilbe wrote:

>Don't agree. All applications I've come across to date have had Enter
>= accept dialog and Ctrl+Enter = insert line break in memo.

Outlook certainly doesn't behave this way. Just the opposite.
I'd say Outlook is the exception then.

Kjell Rilbe wrote:
>>Don't agree. All applications I've come across to date have had
>>Enter = accept dialog and Ctrl+Enter = insert line break in memo.
>
>Outlook certainly doesn't behave this way. Just the opposite.

I'd say Outlook is the exception then.
I don't think so. XanaNews behaves like Outlook, for example. Outlook
Express (despite the name, a totally different app than Outlook)
behaves the same way. Having to press Ctrl+Enter to put a CR/LF in a
memo control is certainly not the normal behavior of the Windows
control.
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com