Codewright alternative: SourceInsight, Visual Slickedit, DAC ...?

We are still using CW 6.6.
Our question is now: updating to 7.5 or switching to another editor which is still maintained?
We have had a look for SourceInsight, Visual Slickedit, Ristancase DAC .
We are doing embedded software, mainly C, also Assembler.
Important is
- Version Control Integration,
- ability to start external tools (compiler, make...)
- configurable error parser
- Chromacoding, auto parameter and member info
- code formatting
- write own macros
- file differencing
- regular expressions
- makefile generator / dependency generation
- call trees
- selective display (preprocessor directives)
- structogram, flowchart display of code
Any experience / suggestions ?

Re:Codewright alternative: SourceInsight, Visual Slickedit, DAC ...?

"Thom Little" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
If the question is a recommendation on the alternative to CodeWright I
think that is not appropriate for a Borland newsgroup.

Given that Borland is no longer developing CodeWright and this is the best
place to ask questions of people who use or have used CodeWright, I'd have
to disagree. I think this is an appropriate forum for questions about what
editor CodeWright users think is a decent replacement for Codewright.
Unfortunately for the original poster, I don't have any experience with the
alternatives m.meyer mentioned so I can't offer an opinion. So far anyway,
CW 7.5.5 still does all I need it too. (I can see a day in the future that
won't be true, unfortunately.)
I truly wish that Borland would make CodeWright an Open Source project, but
I doubt that will happen.
Mike

Re:Codewright alternative: SourceInsight, Visual Slickedit, DAC ...?

The recommendation is that if you plan to stay with CodeWright for the next
year then you should upgrade to 7.5.5 for the improvements in stability. If
you have any compiled CodeWright DLLs you need to request a copy of the SDK
from Borland.
--
-- Thom Little -- www.tlaNET.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
"m.meyer" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

We are still using CW 6.6.
Our question is now: updating to 7.5 or switching to another editor which
is still maintained?
We have had a look for SourceInsight, Visual Slickedit, Ristancase DAC .

We are doing embedded software, mainly C, also Assembler.
Important is
- Version Control Integration,
- ability to start external tools (compiler, make...)
- configurable error parser
- Chromacoding, auto parameter and member info
- code formatting
- write own macros
- file differencing
- regular expressions
- makefile generator / dependency generation
- call trees
- selective display (preprocessor directives)
- structogram, flowchart display of code

Any experience / suggestions ?

{smallsort}

Re:Codewright alternative: SourceInsight, Visual Slickedit, DAC ...?

You are welcome to your opinion. I was brought up that you don't "mess"
(fill in your own replacement) in someone else's house.
I made a request of Borland earlier today that they convert the Newsgroup
archive to a PDF file and post it in the documentation section of their
website. I think this would help people who are staying with CodeWright for
a while.
I think if we start discussing CodeWright alternatives in this newsgroup
that we will quickly see it disappear entirely.
You apparently haven't visited my website or sent me an e-mail.
--
news:41b0a303$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :

On 3 Dec 2004 04:29:29 -0700, m.meyer wrote:

We are still using CW 6.6.
Our question is now: updating to 7.5 or switching to another editor which is still maintained?
We have had a look for SourceInsight, Visual Slickedit, Ristancase DAC .

We are doing embedded software, mainly C, also Assembler.
Important is
- Version Control Integration,
- ability to start external tools (compiler, make...)
- configurable error parser
- Chromacoding, auto parameter and member info
- code formatting
- write own macros
- file differencing
- regular expressions
- makefile generator / dependency generation
- call trees
- selective display (preprocessor directives)
- structogram, flowchart display of code

Any experience / suggestions ?
Slickedit is strong/very strong in all of these areas with the
exception of the following ...
- makefile generator / dependency generation
Slick does have it's own build system for C++/Java projects but I know
nothing about it so I can't say what its capabilities are.
- call trees
What do you mean by this?
- structogram, flowchart display of code
Slick doesn't do this and I'm not personally aware of any tools that
do this. I have doubts whether an auto-generated flowchart would show
anything useful but it sounds like sophisticated functionality that
you wouldn't expect to find in an editor.
Slickedit comes with a ton of source code written in Slick-C (which is
"almost C") that you can copy or customise if you choose. It also
includes a dialog gui builder that lets you create you own dockable or
floating windows/toolbars, plus recently added "C++ refactoring"
capability, also DLLs and DDE. It's a mission to learn all of
slickedit's capabilities though, especially if you want to customise
it. It does have some weaknesses e.g. a single line only of buffer
tabs - but CodeWright has this problem too. I haven't looked at how
it handles assembler much but I suspect it's at least adequate.
You could try here if you have questions
lazyhacker.com/slickedit/forum/viewforum.php
or ask slickedit inc.
Graeme

Re:Codewright alternative: SourceInsight, Visual Slickedit, DAC ...?

Graeme:
If you send me your e-mail address I have some information for you.
--
"Graeme Prentice" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
On 3 Dec 2004 04:29:29 -0700, m.meyer wrote:

>We are still using CW 6.6.
>Our question is now: updating to 7.5 or switching to another editor which
>is still maintained?
>We have had a look for SourceInsight, Visual Slickedit, Ristancase DAC .
>
>We are doing embedded software, mainly C, also Assembler.
>Important is
>- Version Control Integration,
>- ability to start external tools (compiler, make...)
>- configurable error parser
>- Chromacoding, auto parameter and member info
>- code formatting
>- write own macros
>- file differencing
>- regular expressions
>- makefile generator / dependency generation
>- call trees
>- selective display (preprocessor directives)
>- structogram, flowchart display of code
>
>Any experience / suggestions ?

Slickedit is strong/very strong in all of these areas with the
exception of the following ...

>- makefile generator / dependency generation

Slick does have it's own build system for C++/Java projects but I know
nothing about it so I can't say what its capabilities are.

>- call trees

What do you mean by this?