Re: D2005 update 2 - They do not respect us!

2005-03-13 08:46:33 PM
off-topic15
No change when Together, ECO and even all .NET removed..
Only thing that helps is removing most of the components...
-Atle

Re:Re: D2005 update 2 - They do not respect us!

D2005 could be such a great tool. There have been so many new nice things,
and then you ruin it with such a thing like this.
-Atle

Re:Re: D2005 update 2 - They do not respect us!

The only thing that works as fast as it should, is WinForms. But then again,
all the components I installed is gone when in this design mode. Speed could
be different there also if I had a bunch of WinForm components installed.
-Atle

{smallsort}

Re:Re: D2005 update 2 - They do not respect us!

However, Atle, you seem to only see your world. I really think that
Borland cares about mistakes and tries to correct them when possible.
Well, there are definately many frustrated users now. So I guess it's not
just my world...
Borland do care about mistakes (a little bit at least), but they have some
strange priorities..

Atle Smelvær wrote:
Borland do care about mistakes (a little bit at least), but they have
some strange priorities..
Perhaps theirs don't match with yours, but I'm sure they do what they
can, and what they think affects most people.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"I was raised in the Jewish tradition, taught never to marry a

Re:Re: D2005 update 2 - They do not respect us!

Atle Smelvær wrote:
I do not blame it on QC. I blame it on Borland, for not prioritizing
the right things.
They may not be the rights things in your opinion, since they don't
help you a lot, but it is wrong to generalize that.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach

Re:Re: D2005 update 2 - They do not respect us!

Atle Smelvær wrote:
Please give us the specs on your machine, and info if you have
Together installed or any other. And other settings you have adjusted.
I have everything installed.

I have everything installed (Enterprise edition), and on top I have
installed JVCL.
Same here, except that I have Architect.
This is a laptop, Pentium M 1.5 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 30 GB hard disk.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Manuscript: something submitted in haste and returned at leisure."

Re:Re: D2005 update 2 - They do not respect us!

Does not really help. The main problem is the .Net layer in D2005.
D2006 should run again on native win32.
--
Want Parameterized Types (aka Generics) also for Win32/64 (not only .Net
2.0) ? Vote here--
"BaSS" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
You can turn off the switching of the component palette...

"Atle Smelvær" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I really get the feeling now that there is no respect for us within
>Borland.
>Seriously.
>
>The biggest problem of them all. A problem that can not be resolved by
>removing Together. The one problem keeping me from using D2005 is NOT
>resolved by this update.
>
>A clue. Try installing JVCL or any other packages to D2005 that gives
you
>lot of components inside the component palette. And voila, you have 3-5
>seconds wait time whenever you try switching between source and form
view.

>I gave them a good description, steps, and even a real easy solution to
>this
>problem. The report have been open for a month, but it does not look
like
>they care. The report got plenty of votes and good rating. And the
problem
>will give a efficiency drop for any developer using this IDE (and the
>developers frustration will be big).
>
>Look at report #10661 and try help me out here folks.
>
>Looks like D2005 will still be collecting dust in my book case. It's
been
>3
>months now, since I bought it...
>
>I don't know what to say about this anymore.
>
>-Atle

Re:Re: D2005 update 2 - They do not respect us!

So they think delays like this don't affect most people. Seriously, that is
very strange..
I also have news for you. This problem does not just affect switching
between source and form view. It affects whenever you create a new form
(Takes 13 seconds on my computer!). And when switching between the different
forms (8 seconds). Switching between source and form view is the fastest (3
seconds, wow unbelivable).
Another problem. Whenever you are in source view and want to go to one of
the other units, you don't necessary get into the source of the other unit.
That depends on if source view was the last thing you viewed on that unit.
If you was viewing the form, you will get into form view instead. Default
behaviour here should be as before: source view ->any switch to other units
should result in source view on that unit. Form view ->any switch to other
units should result in form view on that unit if it exists.. This is as
logic as it gets, but Borland does not get it anymore.. They don't get
anything.
There is no posibillity at all for me to work with this IDE. It is as
terrible as it can get!
-Atle

Re:Re: D2005 update 2 - They do not respect us!

When you have stalls throughout the whole use of the IDE, you cannot call it
wrong to generalize it. This is something that affects any developer that
use Delphi for other things than just demo's with the default component
palette.
-Atle

Re:Re: D2005 update 2 - They do not respect us!

Sorry, I wrote wrong. I have the Architect edition..
-Atle

Re:Re: D2005 update 2 - They do not respect us!

Then please tell my how you got around this problem?
How long does it take for you to open a new application?
How long does it take for you to create a new form?
How long does it take for you to switch between units, in form view?
How long does it take for you to switch between form and source view?
-Atle

Re:Re: D2005 update 2 - They do not respect us!

Deborah Pate (TeamB) wrote:
<<Atle Smelvær:
How? I would like to know.

Tools | Options | Tool palette

For maximum speed try these settings:
Always show designer items: True
Show palette wizards: False
Show code snippets: False
That is not maximum speed in my machine. I had the opposite setting
(False, True, True, respectively) and had a small delay (less than one
second), when switching from code to design, but none when switching
back. When I changed the setting to the above, I had that delay in both
directions.
When I removed the JVCL, things went considerably faster. It seems that
on each switch, the palette seems to update the items, and the JVCL is
huge.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Computer /nm./: a device designed to speed and automate errors."

Re:Re: D2005 update 2 - They do not respect us!

Do you have Delphi7 installed on the computer as well?
Other things, special adjustments in XP or .NET?
Nothing would make me more happy than getting rid of all those {*word*193} delays.
-Atle

Re:Re: D2005 update 2 - They do not respect us!

I hope that you compute the time as the time before you can do anything.
Because the form get's visible pretty fast, but it still takes some time
before you can work with it.
-Atle