Local index

Is it possible to set up local indexing on a table so that different users
can view different orders? In dBase one would write something like USE
MYFILE then INDEX ON SOMETHING to C:\TEMP. This left the main table
unchaged and gave everyone their favourite view.
Thanks,
Denville
Leeds, England

Re:Local index

Denville Longhurst wrote:
Is it possible to set up local indexing on a table so that different users
can view different orders? In dBase one would write something like USE
MYFILE then INDEX ON SOMETHING to C:\TEMP. This left the main table
unchaged and gave everyone their favourite view.
you don't say which platform you're using, but in general the theory is
similar in many of them.. with Paradox tables, for example, you can have
multiple secondary indexes, then have different users attach to different
indexes.. and the indexes stay with the tables..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:Local index

You are usually wasting your time when you ask a database question and do
not tell us what database you are using. Another alternative is a SELECT
query with an ORDER BY clause.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email

{smallsort}

Re:Local index

So sorry, I am using C++ Builder version 6 and the native dBase table type.
I access through a standard TTable/TDataSource/TDBGrid combination.
Denville.
"Denville Longhurst" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Is it possible to set up local indexing on a table so that different users
can view different orders? In dBase one would write something like USE
MYFILE then INDEX ON SOMETHING to C:\TEMP. This left the main table
unchaged and gave everyone their favourite view.

Thanks,

Denville
Leeds, England

Re:Local index

I am not a dBase person but you should be able to use either multiple
indices as Steve suggested or a query with an ORDER BY clause.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email

Re:Local index

"Denville Longhurst" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
So sorry, I am using C++ Builder version 6 and the native dBase table type.
I access through a standard TTable/TDataSource/TDBGrid combination.
It should certainly be possible. Are you asking how to create
the indexes interactively, or how to create them in code?
My experience is with Delphi. Most of the Delphi users with
dBASE expertise can be found at the *.database.desktop newsgroup.
You may want to try posting at the equivalent newsgroup,
borland.public.cppbuilder.database.desktop
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Local index

Sincere thanks for all replies.