What is the "native" recno

2006-07-14 01:16:34 AM
off-topic19
Hi,
how can i know the unindexed recno ('native') of a record when iterating the
indexed table ?
thanks in advance

Re:What is the "native" recno

dpap wrote:
how can i know the unindexed recno ('native') of a record when
iterating the indexed table ?

thanks in advance
Most relational databases to not have a record number. What database
are you using and what are you trying to do?
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:What is the "native" recno

Most relational databases to not have a record number. What database
are you using and what are you trying to do?
I'm using BDE with TTable and TClientDataset

{smallsort}

Re:What is the "native" recno

dpap wrote:
I'm using BDE with TTable and TClientDataset
The BDE is not a database. Are you using Paradox tables, InterBase, SQL
Server, Oracle, DB2 or some other database?
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:What is the "native" recno

The BDE is not a database. Are you using Paradox tables, InterBase, SQL
Server, Oracle, DB2 or some other database?

I use TClientDataSet as an inmemory table that manipulates data only in
memory (without a dataprovider)
and TTable with Paradox tables

Re:What is the "native" recno

If by "unindexed recno ('native')" you mean a record number that is
stored in the database, Paradox tables do not have an "unindexed recno
('native')".
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:What is the "native" recno

If by "unindexed recno ('native')" you mean a record number that is
stored in the database, Paradox tables do not have an "unindexed recno
('native')".

In an empty and unindexed dataset i append some records. The order of each
of them is that i call unindexed recno or "native".
When i use an index, this order changes, and each record has another recno,
but i want to know the "native" one when i process it.

Re:What is the "native" recno

"dpap" wrote
In an empty and un-indexed dataset I append some records.
The order of each of them is that I call un-indexed recno or
"native". When I use an index, this order changes, and each
record has another recno, but I want to know the "native" one
when I process it.
Dpap, That seems so easy as to be trivial. You just create a
field to hold your native record number field, and assign your
value to it when you are inserting the records. Rgds, JohnH

Re:What is the "native" recno

Dpap, That seems so easy as to be trivial. You just create a
field to hold your native record number field, and assign your
value to it when you are inserting the records. Rgds, JohnH
thanks.
i hope to a code solution. Adding a field is a simple one but is not
suitable for this case.

Re:What is the "native" recno

dpap wrote:
In an empty and unindexed dataset i append some records. The order of
each of them is that i call unindexed recno or "native". When i use
an index, this order changes, and each record has another recno, but
i want to know the "native" one when i process it.
Then you must store the number in a column in the table.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:What is the "native" recno

dpap wrote:
Adding a field is a simple one but is not suitable for this case.
Adding a field is not only a simple solution, it is the only solution.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)