ODBC Driver for Microsoft Access

2003-11-12 12:11:15 AM
off-topic16
I am using ODBC to connect to Microsoft Access 2000 databases. Recently, I
have had problems on Win2K Pro and WinXP Pro systems. There, I get error
messages like 'Driver not known to system'. On WinNT and Win9x systems
there is no such problem. On some systems, one can choose between what
seems to be different language version of the Access driver (e.g. Driver do
Microsoft Access or Microsoft Access Treiber). In most cases where
Microsoft Access Driver does not work, using one of those other language
versions will work. On some systems, though, Microsoft Access Driver
(*.mdb) is the only Access driver installed.
Looking at the Registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\
does not reveal any difference between these drivers. Also, looking at
Configuration\Drivers\ODBC in the BDE Administrator application, there is no
visible difference. In particular, the same DLL/DLL32 are used.
My development environment is Borland C++ Builder 5.
Does anyone have a suggestion how to solve this problem?
Greetings from Iceland.
Gudni Sigurdsson

Re:ODBC Driver for Microsoft Access

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:11:15 -0000, "Gudni G. Sigurdsson" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:
I am using ODBC to connect to Microsoft Access 2000 databases. Recently, I
have had problems on Win2K Pro and WinXP Pro systems. There, I get error
messages like 'Driver not known to system'. On WinNT and Win9x systems
there is no such problem. On some systems, one can choose between what
seems to be different language version of the Access driver (e.g. Driver do
Microsoft Access or Microsoft Access Treiber). In most cases where
Microsoft Access Driver does not work, using one of those other language
versions will work. On some systems, though, Microsoft Access Driver
(*.mdb) is the only Access driver installed.
I am not certain about this, but I seem to recall reading something from
Microsoft which stated that the Jet engine (used for accessing MDB files)
is now a separate product from MDAC, which is the most common source of
the Access ODBC driver.
It might be worth a check to see if Jet 4.0 is installed on the systems
where your ODBC driver is failing...
Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
www.teamb.com XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam