Installation Error: BDE Currently Running

2004-08-10 01:38:30 AM
off-topic18
When some of our clients try to install our software, it does not run because they have another product on their computer using the BDE. EVEN IF THEY HAVE CLOSED every other application appearing on their task (start) bar. However the other product does NOT follow Borland's instructions.
When we try to correct the problem by telling them to install Borland's BDE5.2.exe program (6,897KB from 2001) which is supposed to install the 5.2 BDE, they get an error message.
The Title Bar says: BDE Currently Running.
The message says: The installation program has detected BDE version 5.2.0.2 currently running. Please close any applications using the BDE and then restart this installation.
The problem is, we can't find which process to end in the Task Manager, because the other software program(s) using the BDE have not followed Borland's instructions and have evidently renamed the process. Looking at the aliases doesn't help, because sometimes they do not use an alias. It makes our users (and us) very uneasy to just start down the list of processes and try to end them without know what we are doing.
How we we find what task we need to stop, so that we can load our software? And what if the process is running under some other process? This problem seems to be occuring mostly on Windows XP computers.
Thank you for any help you can give.

Re:Installation Error: BDE Currently Running

Maybe some started service use the BDE? Just open the service list and
check...
"Mary R." < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

[...]

Look for INMEM###.REM (usually INMEM000.REM) in the temp folder. My BDE
installers look for this file to see if the BDE is running because some
versions of Wise crashed (on Win2000) when looking to see if idapi32.dll is
loaded in memory. This was more reliable than having the installer crash.
HTH,
David R.

{smallsort}

"David R. Robinson" wrote:
Look for INMEM###.REM (usually INMEM000.REM) in the temp folder.
it's the other way around.. inmemrem.000 for the first session, or inmemrem.###
for each subsequent session, where ### seems to be random..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:Installation Error: BDE Currently Running

Oh yeah I should have looked it up rather than going on memory. Thanks for
correcting the post.