Excel-GoldMine BDE Link error

Hi all,
Hope you can help me, I'm asking everybody on all newsgroups on this one,
and hope you might have an answer the others don't have.
GoldMine 6.5.40321 is a dBase IV program, based on BDE 500.
It can and has done for many years, linked to MS Word versions via BDE to
perform merge documents etc from the information in GM. In the latest (6.5)
version of GM, they have also provided a link for MS Excel, which was based
on the same technology as the successful Word link.
In probably 90% of cases, the link to Excel does work (regardless of Excel
2000, XP or 2003), but sometimes it doesn't, for reasons I have not been
able to track down. In all cases, the link to Word works 100%, even if the
Excel link doesn't.
While it might be a coincidence, each unit where the link does not work, is
a Excel XP (original version, or SP3) machine, with simple users, no extra
programs causing links or program problems.
The link to Excel appears to install the link correctly, as a menu item in
Excel. When clicked upon, the link gives back a -1BDE error indicating it
can't connect to the BDE.
In other cases where this error has occurred, it has been easy to fix and
get working by changing the SHAREMEMLOCATION in the BDE settings from the
original install default of 7000, to one of these:
6BDE, 5BDE, 4096, 1024.
But I still have some sites where this does not make any changes, nor did
upgrading the SP on Excel to SP3 (avoiding SP2 was noted), or an upgrade to
GoldMine version or Excel Link version.
(For other information, I have checked that the macro security level in
Excel is set to Low, replaced the normal.dot file, and that the add-in has
not been disabled by Excel.)
If anyone has any thoughts on this matter, and how or if the BDE might in
some way be adjusted further to get this link working, I would be most
appreciative.
TIA,
Wendy Collett
Seahorse Data
GoldMine Consultant, Brisbane, Australia

Re:Excel-GoldMine BDE Link error

-1BDE is not a BDE error is it one of yours?
Mick
Wendy Collett wrote:
The link to Excel appears to install the link correctly, as a menu
item in Excel. When clicked upon, the link gives back a -1BDE error
indicating it can't connect to the BDE.

Re:Excel-GoldMine BDE Link error

Hi Mick,
Thanks for the reply, I can't lay claim personally to the error number
itself, just the consultant, not the programmer,
However, after a very hard day of analysis on this issue (and believe me, I
spent weeks on this already before writing here), I have come up with the
answer to the problem, which thankfully, doesn't have anything to do with
BDE, and EVERYTHING to do with a weird install of MS Office instead.
Posting here must have been my lucky charm. :)
I can't explain why Office was installed wrong in the first place (not me),
but it seemed to have dumped a lot of the Office settings (that should have
been down in the C:\Prog Files\MS Office\Office10\ directories), and
instead, then placed them all up in the C:\Docs & Settings directory
instead, under a user called 'User'.
An IT friend of mine said this was probably caused by someone installing
Office under the wrong user name, then changing it after the install,
instead of uninstalling it and then reinstalling it, others may have a
better explanation of the 'why'.
I wrote a fully posting of these results back to the GoldMine forum board if
anyone would like to visit this for more info.
www.contactreview.com/mb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=gm6&Number=35513&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=3&fpart=1
Thanks for your help once again,
Wendy Collett

Wendy Collett wrote:

>The link to Excel appears to install the link correctly, as a menu
>item in Excel. When clicked upon, the link gives back a -1BDE error
>indicating it can't connect to the BDE.

{smallsort}