Paradox 7 : BDE 5.01 : FAT32 vs NTFS

2003-10-23 05:12:56 PM
off-topic7
Hi
I distribute an application which uses P7 tables and the BDE 5.01. I have
no known issues with FAT32 systems but on an NTFS system it appears that
when the app. tries to add a new field to a table (ALTER TABLE) then there
is an access violation and the field is not added. Is there a known issue
with the BDE and NTFS ?, perhaps a different version of the BDE for NTFS
over FAT32 ?
thanks in anticipation
Peter B.

Re:Paradox 7 : BDE 5.01 : FAT32 vs NTFS

I distribute an application which uses P7 tables and the BDE 5.01. I
have
no known issues with FAT32 systems but on an NTFS system it appears that
when the app. tries to add a new field to a table (ALTER TABLE) then there
is an access violation and the field is not added. Is there a known issue
I would think that the issue is not NTFS versus FAT but the OS (XP versus
Win9x perhaps?). XP and W2K have stricter rules as to which type of user can
read/write to the root of C, the Windows folder and the WindowsSystem folder
and (?) the Program Files folder.
My guess is that your app does not define its Session.PrivateDir and so the
BDE put it anywhere and this happens to be a forbidden folder on XP and W2K
when doing an ALTER TABLE which will use the private dir for the temp table.
Make sure you app specifies a Session.PrivateDir that points to a folder
that even the lowest privileged user has read/write access to.
Olivier

Re:Paradox 7 : BDE 5.01 : FAT32 vs NTFS

Olivier,
Thank you. You are correct in your assumptions. I will see if your
suggestion helps.
Peter B.
"Olivier Beltrami" <obeltrami at wanadoo dot fr>wrote in message
>I distribute an application which uses P7 tables and the BDE 5.01. I
have
>no known issues with FAT32 systems but on an NTFS system it appears that
>when the app. tries to add a new field to a table (ALTER TABLE) then
there
>is an access violation and the field is not added. Is there a known
issue

I would think that the issue is not NTFS versus FAT but the OS (XP versus
Win9x perhaps?). XP and W2K have stricter rules as to which type of user
can
read/write to the root of C, the Windows folder and the WindowsSystem
folder
and (?) the Program Files folder.

My guess is that your app does not define its Session.PrivateDir and so
the
BDE put it anywhere and this happens to be a forbidden folder on XP and
W2K
when doing an ALTER TABLE which will use the private dir for the temp
table.

Make sure you app specifies a Session.PrivateDir that points to a folder
that even the lowest privileged user has read/write access to.

Olivier

{smallsort}